Monday, June 30, 2008

Banana spiders are the worst...

Hello!!!! How has this week been? Im assuming you guys are at the lake house right now enjoying the weather out on the back deck with ice cold pepsis and two crazy dogs running around. Aww that sounds good right now lol. Just kidding, im loving it out here right now. This week was a bit frustrating because most of the 14 investigators we found last week while tracting aren't really interested anymore. It really is difficult to find solid investigators through tracting. The most effective way to find is through the members. Were trying to get them to do there part out here. We still have a lot of people to teach though so its all good. We just set a baptismal date for July 19 with Lisa and her 10 year old son last night. They are both really excited but Lisa has some concerns about not having enough time to do her church calling. Pray for her But she said shell be ready on July 19, and her son Michael is ready as well so that's Elder Taylor and I are way excited for that.We went and saw one of our other investigators (Andrea Johnson) who is about 16 about a week ago. At one point her whole family was going to get baptized but they've been having some problems. But it was awesome when we talked to Andrea because we didn't even have to ask her if she still wanted to. She flat out said that she is still gonna get baptized even though they are going through all this stuff. So that's another person we are excited about.On Wednesday, we had an appointment set up with a guy named john who came up to us at transfer spots about 3 weeks ago and said he was interested in the mormon church. So we set up to teach him a lesson at the church, and he ended up showing up with one of his friends. Well, they came through the doors of the church each of them having a binder full of papers, a tabbed upbible, and a tabbed up book of mormon. Turned out they were Two Baptists and they were ready to tear us upart haha. It started out good. We started to teach the first lesson and they couldn't contend with anything we said concerning the need for priesthood authority and prophets. But of course it turned sour because they finally started just flat out telling us that they wanted to save us and that they knew we were in darkness. They worked up some tears as they bore testimony that they had prayed and received a witness from the Holy Ghost that Joseph smith was not a prophet and that the B of M is false. It really was sad to see these guys. They were so brainwashed. You could just feel such a negative spirit with them in the room. All we could do is bear our testimonies because nothing we could have shown them in the scriptures would have changed their minds. They tried to set up another appointment with us and we told them it would be a waste of time but that we would play b-ball with them on one of our P-days or something. They were our age so that might be kinda fun.Teaching is getting easier for me now. I don't get all nervous anymore and I can tell im getting more and more help from the spirit as I continually pray and study the doctrine. Elder Taylor is awesome. Im sad though because he is most likely getting transferred in 3 weeks. Theres a possibility I might be training already. There are 14 new elders coming in so I might get to train one of them. Im kinda scared, but itll be fun if I get to do that.Were getting fed pretty good out here. Did you see the pictures I sent of the chicken hearts and giblets? The chicken hearts were actually really good! I couldn't stop eating them. That was my last night in Navarre. Out here in Pensacola, the cooking is a lot more southern style then in my old area. They just kinda throw whatever looks good into one big pot and cook it up. Last night some lady was like, I feel like corn, no actually shrimp, no actually I want baked potatoes, ahh what the heck. Then just throws everything she felt like eating into a giant pot with a bunch of spices and sauces and cooked it up. It was so good! Like I said I way about 155lbs now.I just love it here. The food is great, the members are awesome, our investigators are the coolest, and the area is beautiful. What more could I ask for? Of course if you guys were here thatd be pretty sweet too haha.I got the pants you sent. They are perfect. Thank you so much. And the samoas made my week so thank you for that as well.I hope you looked up those banana spiders on google. They are the worst!Oh yeah before I forget, im running low on proactive. Could you possibly send we another package of it? Im so sorry, thatll be the last thing I ask for until my birthday haha. You don't even wanna know what I want for my Birthday. Its something that would make my life so much easier out here. Well, you know how mom is horrible with directions and maps and all that stuff? Well sadly I inherited that and im about to take over this area and I still have no idea where I am half the time. I here you can get GPS systems for like $99 now at walmart now. Just a thought. Ponder about it. Pray about it. Just kidding, I don't need one. But they are way cheaper now and that's the only thing I can think of for my b-day and its something I could use for the rest of my mission… I love you guys with all my heart. Thank you for the emails and your prayers and everything you have done for me. Mom- I love you. You mean the world to me. Thank you for everything. Dad- You're the best dad I could ask for. I love you and thank you for everything. Bye guys! Say hello to the fam! Tell them I write them next week I promise!I love YOU!!!! Love, Elder Joshua Burnham

No comments: