Friday, January 22, 2010

Jan 22, 2010 Elder Tolley an amazing missionary, a second flood

Hey Mom and Dad!

This last week was so great. Elder Tolley is an amazing missionary. I think these next two tranfers will be alot like the ones i had with Elder Gooch. We already get along so good, and we were really hard together. For the past month or two there has been no signs of life here in Theodore, but just within the past week, things have really started to pick up.

We are now teaching a lady named Desiree who some members (the Schloemers) introduces us to. We have our lessons with her at the Schloemers house every week now. She is progressing pretty well. She is a in her 30's and is a single mom looking for a church to settle down in. We are excited about her. Aside from that, we are making alot of plans to work with the youth in our ward to help them invite their friends. We had a really good experience yesterday in Church. We were pulled into the young mens/young womens class to teach sunday school. We were caught by suprise so we had no idea what we were going to teach. At first everyone in the class was pretty roudy, but within a few minutes, everyone was participating. We just started to ask some simple questions like, "what kinds of questions are you asked about the church by your friends?" And, "What are the answers you give to them." We helped them to answer common gospel questions and helped them to see the importance of bearing testimony in those situations. There was one young women in the class who was about 15 years old and at first was very closed off. She had a tongue ring and dressed pretty crazy. She made alot of comments saying that she was only there because her grandmother forces her to go every sunday. I testified to her of the power that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought into my life. We testifies to her of the importance of learning truth and living it right now and not waiting until later on. I really felt a connection of what she is going through right now, and the Spirit was so strong as we bore our testimonies to her. The Spirit touched this young womens heart yesterday and it was amazing to see her countenence change by the end of class. It was just a neat experience for me.

I think that one day out here will be fine. There really isnt too much to see anyways. It will be a very full day, but that's ok. I cant swim or anything anyways so its not like we can spend time at any of the beach resorts or anything. I think the only place that i would want to visit would be Fort Walton, Troy, and probably here in Theodore. I think it will work out. Would we just fly out of Mobile?

I would love to spend some time out at the lake when i get back. I think that would be really nice to just have some quiet time out there before i get started with school and work and everything else. I am actually really looking forward to some time out there.

That is so awsome that President Dalton is going to be a Mission President. It would be amzing if he was sent to this mission. He would love it so much. The culture of this mission and the direction that it is heading is great. You will have to give me the Dalton's adress so i can write them. I love President Summerhays, because of his ability to get out of the way, and let the Spirit run things the way they are supposed to be run. His interviews dont consist of him counciling us, they consist of him asking us, "how are you?" "How are you feeling?" "What is on your mind?" He trusts that the Spirit will work through us to give him what he needs to work with. I really cant put into words all the different reasons i love President Summerhays. He is completely submissive to the Spirit, and does not do anything of his own will, but always seeks to do His will. I wish i could put it into better words. I guess you will just have to meet him for yourself:)

I think that will work out ok with fullerton starting a little later after i get home, because then i can work and get some money saved up. Thank you so much for looking into all that stuff for me. That would be pretty nice if some extra money came in to pay for a couple semsters from that accident. I cant believe that that is still going on.

I am so excited for the next 10 weeks! I have an awsome companion who loves to work, and i am in a great ward. I am so happy. I know with all my heart that this is HIS work. I love every single second of my mission. I cant wait for you to meet some of the people that have impacted my life so much. Thank you guys for the email. They always make my weeks so much better. I love you so much!

Love, Elder Burnham

No comments: