Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feb. 2, 2008 The Cinnamon Challenge

Mom and Dad-

Hey guys That’s cool that yall had some time out at the lake this week. The weather out here is still pretty cold as well. Its so weird because one day it could get down into the 20’s or 30’s with the humidity making it feel like its below 0, but then a day later it will be like 80 and the humidity makes it feel like 90. I actually really like the cold weather though so its all good. I bet yall are getting so excited to have Chad, Em, and Parker around more often! That’s going to be so much fun. I'm jealous of you guys. You will have to take tons of pictures. I'm really sorry that I've been slacking on the pictures. I promise I will start taking more.

This week was a very good week for us. Towards the beginning of the week, we went and saw two media referrals who had ordered Book of Mormons. From these two referrals we got 3 new investigators and 2 pretty solid potential investigators. The one that we are really excited about are George and Linda Miller. When we knocked on this couples door for the first time to give them their Book of Mormon, Ms. Linda answered the door and invited us right in. As we walked in, we were greeted by Mr. George who was sitting on the couch. They told us to sit down and just started talking to us like they had known us forever. They are about 75 years old by them way. So anyways, before we even told them about the Book of Mormon, Mr. George was like, “ I don’t know to much about the Mormon Church, but what I do know is that you are wonderful people, and I want to be a part of your Church.” It was amazing. His wife pretty much said the same thing. I guess Mr. George has had some serious health problems aver the passed 25 years. He had over a quarter of his heart removed and a Colonoscopy recently. About 20 years back he had a major heart surgery where Doctors told him that he most likely would not survive. He told us that he believes that God has kept him alive for these 25 years for a specific reason but that he hasn’t found that reason yet. I think I know the reason!! Haha. Elder Cornwell and I have high hopes for the two of them. We want to get them sealed before he or she passes away. Please keep them in your prayers

Other than that, we have just been doing a lot of finding lately. We have been tracking down old referrals, and calling former and potential investigators from 2006 and older. Since it was super bowl Sunday last night, we stayed in because everyone in the south just pretty much gets hammered when the super bowl comes around. So we stayed in and called pretty much every potential investigator in the area book dating way back to around 2003. It was pretty boring to tell you the truth ha.

Ok so have yall ever hear of the cinnamon challenge? If you have, DO NOT do it! Last night after we finished planning, the Spanish missionaries dared Elder Cornwell to do it. The challenge is that you cant swallow a table spoon of cinnamon. It sounded easy, so he tried it. Bad idea! As soon as he tries to swallow it, he coughed and it all came out his nose and much in brown cloud. He was gasping for air for like 20 seconds. For the next hour after that, its like he had the worst sinus infection ever. His eyes got all swollen and he couldn’t talk. Today he is still having a hard time talking. It was pretty funny, but really stupid at the same time. We never thought that cinnamon could do that. So yeah, don’t ever try it

Everything else has been going good this week. President Summerhays wants everyone in the mission the read the Book of Mormon again befor our next Zone conference and he wants us to mark it in this specific way that he showed us. We mark the Promises and blessings of God in one color, and then we mark the things that we have to do to attain those blessings in another color. Its actually really cool. I’ve gotten way more out of my B of M studies than I have before. Isaiah still really frustrates me though. So yeah my studies lately have been really good and ive been pretty pumped up to study in the mornings lately. Anyways, im boring you now, and I actually need to go email President.

Thank you so much for your emails every week. I love you guys so much. I am so happy to hear that everything is going good back home. Mom- I love you! Dad- I love you! Ill talk to yall next week
Love,
Elder Joshua Burnham

No comments: