Monday, December 7, 2009

Dec.7 I'm going to be a zone leader in Theodore



Hey Mom and Dad-

We just got tranfer information, and i am going to be a Zone Leader over in Theodore, Alabama. I am actually a little bit surprised right now. I thought i would be here for at least another transfer and i definately never thought i would be go zone leader on my mission. It will all be ok though. I am going to be serving with Elder Fox. I have heard a little bit about him and he seems like a really good missionary. One of the cool things about leadership is that i dont have to worry about serving with a missionary that doesnt want to work at all, so thats good. I am really going to miss Troy though. There has been so many good people out here. Ed is probably the one i will miss the most. He is one of the miracles that i have witnessed on my mission. His wife mary is slowly coming around. She is so sweet, and Ed has a very strong feeling that one day they will be sealed in the Temple. There are some other really great people too that are going to go really far, and i am a little sad that i dont get to teach them any more; but at the same time, i am pretty excited to go to Theodore. Theodore is in the Mobile Zone. It is probably going to be the most Southern place i have been in so far. From what i hear, there are alot of ghettos out in that area, but i will be careful , dont worry. I am guessing this will be the final area of my mission.

This week has been good. We did alot of service for this less-active family by putting up their Christmas lights. Tracting and Contacting didnt produce too much success this week, but we were still able to find a few people. We had a really great lesson with Dora and her family on Tuesday. We approached it a little bit differently this time. Instead up going in and just teaching a specific lesson, we started off by asking, " what questions do you have about God?" It went so well. Each question that was asked was so profound. The Spirit was working through everyone in the room, inspiring each member of the family with the questions they should ask. Then instead of us just answering there questions right away, we asked, "Well, what do you feel the answer is?" Because of how strong the Spirit was in the room, each person was giving true doctrinal answers to their own questions. Even the 11 year old boy that was their asked the question, "well if God created us, then who created Him?" It was a really great night. Later on in the week we had a really good lesson with Ed as well. He was telling us about his first revelatory experiences that he has had since he has been baptized. He recieved two very strong answers this week that the Church is the one true Church. The testimony that he bore of those experiences in that lesson was so powerful, and helped to root my own testimony even deeper of the truth of this work.

It sounds like you have a fun few days with Parker. I am so excited to see all the kids. I am also really excted to see the dogs, as lame as that sounds. I laughed when i read about sadie getting all freaked out from the heater and then climbing in bed with you. She is so funny.

I thought of a couple things i could use out here. I could use a black sweater. I know express has black sweaters that fit me pretty good. I could also use some gloves. Just some thin normal cotton or wool ones. It is getting really cold out here. Just yesterday it dropped to 24 degrees and was supposed to snow, but it never did. For now those are thonly things i can think of.

I am sorry there is not much more to write about. We had some other lessons throughout the week and some doors slammed in our faces, and some cookey people we talked to, but i always feel like i am boring you when i write the little details that dont really matter. I am a little nervous right now to leave Troy and go to Theodore. Leadership scares me because i still feel like i dont know anything about it. But it will be a good change. I know the Lord will fill in for my weaknesses and give me the strength i need. He has done it for the past 20 months, so why would he stop now?

I love you guys so much. Christmas is going to be great. I cant wait to talk to you. Tell everyone that i love them!

Love, Elder Josh Burnham

No comments: